Keep Your Kitchen Running Smoothly This Holiday Season
Posted on December 2nd, 2015
Thanksgiving might be over, but your kitchen’s work is not yet done. Keep it running smoothly well into the New Year by adhering to these tips:
- Avoid putting stringy and fibrous waste — like meat skins and banana peels — into your garbage disposal. They can’t easily be broken down, and should therefore be thrown in the trash.
- Never pour cooking grease and oil down the drain. This will go a long way in preventing clogs.
- Freshen your garbage disposal with ice cubes and lemon or orange rinds. Nobody likes a smelly sink!
- Don’t over-stuff the area beneath your kitchen sink. Doing so can lead to leaks, and all that clutter will make them more difficult to detect.
- Always address plumbing problems before holiday guests arrive. A plumbing emergency is always more disastrous when there’s company.
- Know how to shut off water to all water-using appliances. Should there be an issue, you’ll save yourself a lot of money and cleanup.
- Perform regular maintenance on your water conditioning system. This is especially important when it comes to your drinking water.
- Don’t wash dishes by hand! Use your dishwasher to save hot water and energy. Be sure to fill it up all the way for optimal savings.
Adhere to these guidelines for a smooth running kitchen — this holiday season and beyond! If you find yourself with a plumbing problem, reach out to Plumbing Medic. Our phones are answered 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year for emergencies!