The Scariest Sounds Coming From Your Water Heater
Your water heater is not a bowl of Rice Krispies. It is not supposed to snap, crackle and pop when it is in use and if it is making these noises, you have an issue on your hands. Halloween is right around the corner, so it is a perfect time to tell you about these scary noises coming from your water heater:
The Noises and What They Mean
- Water can sometimes be ‘hard’ if you are not using a water softening filtration system in your home.
- What this means is that the water coming into your plumbing contains calcium and other minerals that leave behind a white film on tanks and pipes.
- If this film accumulates enough, it turns into a layer of sediment that can gather on the bottom of your water heater.
- When the water is heating up and being sent to your shower or sink, that layer of sediment can toss and turn causing popping, rolling and banging sounds.
- It’s not a ghost, it is just your water heater!
How to Fix Them
- Before we start we just want to tell you that the team at Plumbing & A/C Medic can flush your tank for you if you are uncomfortable!
- The first step is putting on some gloves to protect yourself if the water heater was recently in use.
- The next step is to turn the water heater off completely.
- Turn the main water valve in your home to the ‘off’ position.
- Take your hose from the yard and connect it to the drain valve that is on the side or bottom of your hot water heater.
- Place the other end of your hose in a drain or large bucket.
- Turn the hot water on in your shower or sink.
- Open the drain valve on your water heater. Then pull the tab on the pressure relief valve.
- Let all the water flush out until it is running clear.
Again, we know this can all be confusing and our team can perform this task in their sleep. They are highly qualified and licensed plumbing medics with a touch for customer service that is seldom seen in this business. Be sure to call the Plumbing & A/C Medic team if you need assistance with your flush!